Iowa Divorce Attorneys
Call Our WEST DES MOINES Family Firm Today At (515) 200-7571.
During a divorce, two lives must be separated. Disputes regarding property division, support and child custody can quickly erupt into heated legal battles. As such, it is important to have an experienced West Des Moines divorce attorney protecting your interests at this time. At The Law Offices of Mark R. Hinshaw, we provide reliable, trusted legal advice and counsel to our clients throughout the divorce process. We thoroughly prepare each case we take on and will go the extra mile in order to exceed your expectations.
Do not navigate through the complexities of the legal system alone.
Retain our immediate representation today.
Protect Your Interests During Divorce
When marriages break down, the potential for highly contentious, expensive legal battles is great. At The Law Offices of Mark R. Hinshaw, our divorce lawyer in Des Moines is strong, aggressive litigators who are fully equipped to handle your case. We have the resources necessary to achieve your goals in a timely and effective manner. Our legal team would be proud to provide you with the personalized solutions and one-on-one attention that you require at this time.
Iowa divorce procedures have specific guidelines governing the divorce process. We are well-versed in Iowa divorce laws, know how the system works and how to move our clients through the process in the most efficient manner possible. We use every legal tool available, including negotiation and mediation, to help our clients complete their divorces in the most stress-free manner. However, if you must go to court to protect your financial and parental rights, you can trust our firm to provide the tenacious courtroom advocacy you need to be successful at trial.
Dissolution Of Marriage in Greater Des Moines Area
During a divorce, many unique disputes and issues can arise. We understand the different issues — such as property division and child custody — that can arise. As such, we work closely with our clients to ensure their rights are protected.
We have handled a wide range of divorce-related disputes, including:
- Disputes arising when marital estates include farming/agricultural properties
- Property division and child custody issues
- Issues unique to military divorce
- Issues common in same-sex divorce
- Spousal support disputes
- International Family Law
What to Do After a Divorce in Iowa
Though it may feel like an enormous relief that you want to celebrate, it is essential you don’t forget to follow through certain steps. Forgetting to complete these important steps will result in a number of serious consequences, and it is a scenario you want no part of, especially considering all you’ve undergone during your divorce.
The following are important steps to take immediately following a divorce:
- Act according to your property settlement. If you were forced to give up the car, or you are now in the ownership of the marital home, these are all changes that need to be documented with the right agencies, and it is your responsibility to do so.
- Separate your joint bank accounts and cancel your joint credit cards. If you have any direct deposits, make sure they go into a new bank account, including your retirement account. You will also have to change your tax status from married to single.
- Keep all of your child support records in place at all times, and notify anyone who is in contact with your children, such as teachers or babysitters.
- Change your name if you took your spouse’s name, which you will need to call the DMV, Social Security, and a number of other agencies.
- Check your estate planning and ensure your ex-spouse is no longer a part of it, including your will, retirement account, life insurance, Social Security, etc.