West Des Moines Guardianship Attorney

Helping Clients With Guardianship Matters in Iowa

Guardianship in West Des Moines, IA

Unfortunate circumstances in life may render a minor child, disabled individual, or senior in need of assistance. In the legal arena, the court may appoint a guardian to attend to an individual’s safety or to attend to their necessities. Guardianships may be voluntary or involuntary. Regardless, the process is complex and can be frustrating to navigate on your own.

Our Des Moines family lawyers are here to help you navigate the ins and outs of guardianship matters. If you have any questions about this case or would like to begin the process of establishing guardianship, please contact The Law Offices of Mark R. Hinshaw. We work for the best interests of our clients.

How to Establish Guardianship

Guardianships are initiated in Iowa by filing a Petition to Appoint a Guardian. After the petition is filed the court sets a hearing. At the hearing the requesting party has the burden of proving that the ward’s best interests requirement the appointment of a guardian. The establishing of a guardianship requires the filing of several complex legal documents. In addition, the documents must be personally served to a variety of parties.

The Law Offices of Mark R. Hinshaw can help with the following:

  • Discuss with you the role of a guardian
  • Provide details of what a guardian should and should not do
  • Provide you with the stability and reassurance that the child or adult dependent’s best interests will be the priority

Guardian Rights and Responsibilities Explained

These are the rights and responsibilities of a guardian:

  • Ensure the child or adult dependent has adequate shelter
  • Provide other necessities such as food, clothing and medical care to the ward
  • Apply for public housing on behalf of the ward or minor
  • Initiate lawsuits on behalf of the ward or minor

Explore Different Types of Guardianships

There are various other types of guardianships available, such as temporary or emergency guardianship, which can provide for a child or adult dependent under limited or certain circumstances. You can always discuss the matter in further detail with our Des Moines family law attorneys. Attorney Mark Hinshaw can review all of the specifics with you regarding guardianships so that you know what to expect moving forward.

Get started today! Request a free appointment with us today.


Your Legal Advocates in West Des Moines Contact Us at (515) 200-7571 Today