Blogs from November, 2018

Most Recent Posts from November, 2018

Preventing Visitation Obstacles


Once a divorce is finalized, former spouses are finally able to start forging the next chapter of their lives. However, not all ties are severed once this legal process is complete. Former spouses often have to construct their new lives while still co-parenting with their exes. This can be a difficult relationship to navigate, especially if the marriage or divorce was particularly contentious.

Maintaining a Positive Co-Parenting Arrangement for Your Child

The court reviews a couple’s parenting plan and holiday schedule before awarding a custody order. This is to protect a child’s best interests by guaranteeing that their basic physical, mental, and emotional needs are being represented and acknowledged and by both parents. This agreement also ensures that each parent has an opportunity to maintain a healthy relationship with their child.

Divorce is incredibly difficult for children, particularly if they feel responsible for managing their parents’ feelings. Even if you don’t have a great relationship with your ex, the two of you need to be civil when it comes to co-parenting your child. Not only does this improve a child’s mental stability, it also protects you from dealing with court complaints and child custody modifications.

But what can you do if your ex is disobeying the child custody order?

Taking Legal Action

In the United States, court-ordered visitation is protected by the law. A parent can face severe legal consequences and even forfeit their custody rights if they fail to follow their custody arrangement.

If you’re unable resolve a custody issue amicably, it’s important to take the following steps:

  • Document all communication with your ex
  • Keep copies of texts, emails, etc. (do not record phone calls)
  • Record specific dates and times of denials
  • Go to your ex’s to pick up your child and note if you’re refused your scheduled visitation time
  • Seek legal representation

When it comes to compromising and negotiating with your ex, it’s important to get everything in writing. Your spouse may verbally agree to let you extend your visitation time for a vacation or a special event, but that doesn’t mean he or she won’t turn around and claim that you’re attempting to kidnap your child.

The Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer

At The Law Offices of Mark R. Hinshaw, our West Des Moines child custody attorneys can represent your case in court and help you resolve any visitation disputes. If the situation continues to escalate, we can litigate on your behalf to secure a custody modification. Alternatively, we can ask the court to order a family services escort to help guarantee that your visitation rights are protected.

Call The Law Offices of Mark R. Hinshaw at (515) 200-7571 to schedule a free consultation.