Blogs from February, 2022

Most Recent Posts from February, 2022

When Does Child Support End in Iowa?


Although both parents are responsible for supporting their child(ren) after a divorce, the noncustodial parent is ordered to pay child support to the custodial parent in order to provide care, shelter, food, and other resources for each child.

However, making these monthly payments for many years to come can be financially daunting, which is why parents going through divorce wonder when will child support payments stop?

In Iowa, child support generally ends when the child reaches 18 years of age or the child graduates high school (whichever occurs sooner). However, child support payments may continue if the parents agree to continue supporting the child until he/she graduates college or an equivalent—which is known as a “post-secondary education subsidy”—or even provide child support indefinitely, specifically if a child cannot become a self-supporting adult due to a physical or mental disability.

On the other hand, noncustodial parents may stop paying child support or reduce their payments before the child turns 18, if one of the following circumstances occurs:

  • The child becomes emancipated (self-supporting)

  • The child gets married before turning 18

  • Repudiation, which means the child refuses to acknowledge the paying parent as his/her parent

  • Disestablishment of paternity

  • The noncustodial parent’s income falls to less than the state’s poverty guidelines

Unless the child support order has a specific end date, the paying parent may have to file a legal petition to terminate the order. A “Motion to Terminate the Income Withholding Order” must be submitted to the court before a noncustodial parent’s child support order can legally end.

Additionally, both parents may seek to modify (or change) the amount of support, especially if a parent experiences a “substantial change in circumstances.” Common examples of such a change include losing a job, the child’s needs have changed, or a parent receiving an inheritance.

If you are interested in modifying or terminating a child support order in Des Moines, IA, call The Law Offices of Mark R. Hinshaw at (515) 200-7571 or complete our online contact form today to schedule a free consultation. Our legal team provides our clients with compassionate and personalized legal services!