Blogs from March, 2020

Most Recent Posts from March, 2020

Can I Modify Spousal Support?


Our financial circumstances change as the years pass and the spousal support order that was once suitable for you and your former spouse may no longer work. If you need to modify your spousal support order, you can petition the court to have it reduced or increased, depending on the situation.

Before you take the matter to court, however, consider discussing it with your former spouse. Hashing out a new agreement together will simplify the matter. That said, you will still need to have it approved by the court to ensure that, regardless if your ex has a change of heart, you will not find yourself on the hook for the amount originally ordered.

Modifying Spousal Support After a Divorce

If you and your former spouse cannot reach an agreement regarding modified spousal support, you will go to court and present your case to a judge. If a judge believes your circumstances changed so substantially that the current order is no longer appropriate, your request may be granted.

If you are seeking a reduction of spousal support, here are some of the circumstances a judge may consider significant enough to warrant a modification:

  1. The involuntary loss of a job
  2. An involuntary reduction of income
  3. The development of a disability that prevents gainful employment
  4. The receiving spouse remarried or lives with a new partner
  5. The receiving spouse received a substantial increase in income

If you are seeking an increase of spousal support payments, here are some circumstances a judge may deem substantial enough to warrant a modification:

  1. You are experiencing a financial emergency
  2. You developed a disability
  3. There was a change in state law
  4. A cost of living increase

If any of these apply to you, your request to modify your spousal support order may be successful. Given the complexities involved in this process, it is crucial to hire an experienced attorney to guide you through it and ensure your success.

Discuss the Details of Your Post-Divorce Modification Case with One of Our Attorneys

If you wish to reduce or increase your spousal support order, you will need a skilled legal advocate on your side. At The Law Offices of Mark R. Hinshaw, PLC, our family law team has the knowledge and experience necessary to effectively assist you with your post-divorce modification case. We understand that financial circumstances do not remain the same forever and that your spousal support order must reflect any substantial changes.

Begin your post-divorce modification case today and reach out to our law office at (515) 200-7571 to request an initial consultation with one of our family law attorneys to discuss the details of your case.